Total Pageviews

Friday, November 11, 2011

Green River Lake State park, Campbellsville, Kentucky

My next adventure has begun. After hearing so many daunting reports about Amazon.com, concerning the number of miles most employees walk every day (one woman actually logged 56 miles on her pedometer in one week recently), I decided to respond to their ad in Workamper News, after noting they were still taking new hires into November.

After leaving the Catskills last month, I spent three lovely weeks visiting my children and grandchildren in Michigan and Indiana, before hooking up and heading south to Campbellsville, Kentucky - my home through Dec 23rd.

Amazon.com deserves credit for their seasonal Camperforce hiring process. There are 4 basic areas we're hired into. During the telephone pre-hiring interview, we are candidly advised of the most grueling aspect of our positions. I thought 'picking' might be an option, until I heard that it could consist of, gulp, up to 18 hours of walking each day. That was a wee bit more than this old girl is comfortable with. I opted for 'packing', and was assigned to 'singles' - only one item is packaged per box at my station.

Amazon breaks us in gently, with 2 weeks of half days. Smart people. We're off tomorrow, and after only 2 1/2 days at our stations, we're ready for the breather! If anyone knows some GOOD back exercises, please let me know!

Amazon.com also lets us choose our own campground, which they pay for. Almost inadvertently, I ended up at the Green River Lake State Park Campground. Yep - the photos in the layout above that I created for a challenge at Moo Two Designs this month. The views and sites are terrific. We even get mail delivery to our sites, a honey wagon once a week, internet, and propane delivered to our doors. Can't beat that.

I'm carpooling with another couple. After passing some of the other RV parks, who are enjoying the boost in their revenue during an otherwise-slow season, we agree that we're at the best park in the area. Some of the others have converted parking lots for dry parking, and most sites are so close together that there is absolutely no privacy. No thank you. We'll take the 7-mile commute -- gladly!

The temperatures are dropping, so it's time to watch our rigs to keep from freezing. I don't have a major issue as I only work of my fifth wheel's fresh water tank, filling it as needed. By not staying hooked up to the outside water source I won't have an issue with freezing pipes. I'm working the night shift, so I leave my propane heat thermostat set low to kick in just enough to keep my water lines safe. When I get home, I turn that off, and use my ceramic electric heater and everything's fine.

One advantage of being here is that we work 4 ten-hour days and have three days off. With my schedule, I'm off Tues - Thursday. That means I can go up to Michigan to see family more - once I adjust to those 10-hour days, that is! It's about a 6-hr drive each way.

No comments:

Post a Comment