Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Woodridge, New York , to Marcellus, Michigan

October 13, 2011, Elkhart, Indiana

I doubt that I could have had two better, or prettier travel days to Elkhart. The colors are really turning now, and the weather remained clear and warm until this morning.

There was a considerable amount of road construction along my 690-mile journey from the Catskills. Traveling by day made it a minor inconvenience. I rather dislike road cones at night on single-lane thoroughfares. The top photo was taken on Martinfeldt Rd, just past the campground, when I stopped to put up my mirrors, which I forgot to do before pulling off my site. (That was the only thing I forgot, not bad!!!)

 The photo on the left shows part of my House on Wheels and the Ranger Station, where I worked. Oliver, the wire-hair dachshund, belongs to Michael's daughter, Ivy, who came to visit for a few days a week before we closed. It was a special visit for her as she was able to see the area where her dad used to enjoy his summers with his parents. She enjoyed sharing some of the memories with her aunt by phone who had not realized just where her late brother spent two recent summers.

My timing was great for arriving at Elkhart Campground. Bob gave me a great rate on my site through my departure date. There was plenty of time to set everything up, tidy and sweep the inside and even take a leisurely shower before heading to Marcellus to watch my grandson, Miles, play soccer for the first time. He's become quite an aggressive soccer player, not inhibited at all by taller, older players on other teams! For awhile it seemed that he was having more fun playing INSIDE the opponent's net when they scored! He's one of the few who is short enough to stand up in there. In the bottom right photo, sister Annika passed out treats when the game was over. Combos and Orange Minute Maid. Miles was a happy young man.

Miles ran over to me for hugs as soon as he saw me, mindless of cars pulling into the lot. Scared the dickens out of me. At 6, he's still a cuddler.  Annika, now 8, has reached the point of 'you-can-hug-me-all-you-want-GrannieMonster - only-NOT-out-in-public. That's just too embarrassing'. I knew that time was coming . . . she did let me sneak in two hugs anyway - and gave me bunches more after we got to her house, with the two of them happily riding in my big black truck with their Aunt Becki!

It was a fantastic first night back!

No comments:

Post a Comment