Total Pageviews

Monday, September 19, 2011

Natural Bridge Station, Virginia

When I use the phrase 'Scenic Detour', it really has another meaning - i.e., I got lost, or turned about - again!  Over the years I've discovered that simply carrying a camera often opens some unexpected doors  - literally!

Last year, while Workamping at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park at Natural Bridge, Virginia, a coworker told me about a unique house by the James River. Rumor had it that the owner was planning on opening an old-time ice cream parlor and had a yard filled with antique cars. Now, that definitely called out to my camera. Getting to the location proved to be a bit more 'entertaining' than I expected, as I found myself taking a switchback turn on a one-lane road that was never designed for a 3/4 ton, long box, 4-door pickup truck. Going down wasn't TOO hairy. My return was another matter. I was sure I was going to tip the truck, but finally got around the tight turn, swearing that I would never go see that house again. Fortunately I misunderstood the directions and later discovered a much easier way to go.

The James River has seen some amazing changes over the years. Oddly, when I first reached the house, I was distracted by a train bridge, then noticed another train track  that parallelled the river's edge. An odd structure nearby definitely had me baffled when I turned to admire all the old cars and amazing bric -a- brac on every wall of the building.

Apparently the owner had been watching me with my camera as he came over to me from behind a closed garden gate. First I asked him about the unusual placement of the train tracks, and the Happy Historian knew he had my full attention.

In the 1800s, summer visitors generally reached Natural Bridge Station by train. It was less costly to create the dual level tracks. Travelers arriving from the  lower track would board a lift housed in the odd structure I previously noted and be hoisted to the upper track level where they would board waiting carriages to take them to the Natural Bridge Hotel or they would walk across the street to another hotel.

After the brief history about the former passenger trains, I asked him about his auto collection. it turned out that he collected anything pertinent to the region's 'Golden Area' of the late 1800s to mid-1900s. He restored everything he could - most of which was given to him. He invited me inside the former depot and general store.

Over the past few years he has been purchasing much of the area around the former train with the hopes of restoring is with period pieces. Many of the items are donated to him. Several were received in pretty poor shape, but he happily tinkers around with them in his spare time.

Even though he has no intention of opening the rumored ice cream parlor he has collected  all the parts that would be needed to do so, and has an impressive display assembled from glassware, counter top, dishes, napkin dispensers, silverware and even the soda fountains and ice cream case. A soda jerk stands ready to serve customers behind the counter - barefoot.

Throughout the main floor of the structure are fascinating pieces, pot belly stoves from the original depot, juke boxes, Coca Cola machines, antique bicycles, including a Penny-Farthing, or High-wheeler, miniature dioramas, Station Master's desk, a great assortment of tools, signs, a portable bookkeepers desk, stencil-making press, a butcher's display case and many other intriguing items. He even knows how each piece operates.

My visit was all too brief but he courteously allowed me to take as many photos as I chose as long as he wasn't in any of them, nor did he want his name used. To me, he was cordial and affable. Others tell me that he is extremely reclusive and rarely allows anyone inside his work-in-progress. He is more apt to discourage visitors, yet he invited me to return, much to my coworkers' amazement.

No comments:

Post a Comment